Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Klezmerica

I was wandering in the net to find new things and old things about jewish music, klezmer and such things. Then I got to some strange thing with the banner you can see above. Well I saw the colors, the stripes, the word klezmer messed up with america....but where would the stars be?

Shortly after that, I discovered Klezmerica band and its 5 stars, behind the musical notes in the banner!

Who are these guys? Where is it this Minnesota in this whole world? Who am I to solve this questions?

Well, something I can say about that: Minnesota is a North American State where 5 mischigene guys joined to make the most impressive kind of klezmer blue jazzistic sound. It is not klezmer, but it is klezmer. It is not Blues, but it is Blues. And of course it is not Jazz but it is. Or not.

Their sound sent my mind directly to Gershwin and I reminded very easily "An American in Paris" ouverture, and the first notes of "Rapsody in Blue" tingling in my ears as in a direct connection. I like them most.

I fall in love with Klezmerica sound. They make that sound that was ment to be. There were not other way to produce such a great music than the meeting of this 5 virtuose musicians.

5 Instruments composing a rich and vibrant picture that at same time arise our soul, remind us our childhood, bring to our sense the smell of a good chicken soup served as main course in a chassidic wedding, throw us out of our horizons and make us travel the whole world while a tender melody get along with us. The Minnesota Tango is a masterpiece where real tango elements were fused with klezjazzblue tradition.

But what hooked me definitely was the percussion. Thats is strange that my attention was caught that way. And I think it was because it is different ; not only making you tap your feet but embracing every song in heartly warm way. So perfect, so fitting, closing sometimes a song with a golden key. The duel of windwoods and violin could not be classified as less than perfect as perfect technic and hot hearts can be felt while the music plays.

All of this impressed me so much that I listen to Klezmerica every day. I added the music they offer in the site to my personnal MP3 player and now they come along with me all the time.

Listen to their music in our regular selection, pick the demos they offer in their site and buy their CD's. It worths every note.

Visit Klezmerica's and Mischegass sites

Return to YidishMusic's site