Monday, September 06, 2004

KLiNGoN KLeZMeR

A long time ago, in a far far place, I needed to choose a nickname. I was starting to use a new mean of communication they call internet. At that time it was only a black screen with a flashing cursor. It was around 1994. At that time I tryed some names but the one that sticked to me was KLiNGoN. So I started to be the klingon. This is indeed a very flexible word, considering many different languages as Yidish, English, Yinglish, and the tv series. It means to stick to, to keep on, to play an instrument and of course, caused me some troubles with the old Star Trek joke: "There is a KLiNGoN in Uranus!". Thats how some people use to warm receive me in many chat rooms. By the way I miss Crossroads very much. It was very nice to talk using telnet (Ugh).
Someday, I was searching in the net some KLiNGoN pictures and I found out that some crazy guy, used this name after a Klezmer group. After a brief identity crisis, I decided to wrote to this people. So I knew this amazing group, that plays so nice, using jazz elements, and warping Klezmer Music to a new dimension. Very Good arrangements, a nice sound, nice voice. So we changed mails, me and Mr Jack Kessler and believing in me, he sent me their CD "Honey would you be Meshuga tonite?". Thats amazing how they remodel all old songs, without loosing any of the caracteristics this particular kind of music have.
So is the KLiNGoN KLeZMeR group now known in this part of the milky way.
The artists in the CD are:
Charley Salinger on the clarinet (superb)
Stan Slotter on trumpet and flute (master)
Josef Kessler on the electric violin (on the electric roof I am sure)
Dave Posmontier on the keyboards and piano (a mekhaye)
Tom Cohen on the Drums (watch him and be affraid...)
Jim Babb on the dumbek (I am not sure what is that)
And of course Chazan Jack Kessler with his touching powerfull voice, playing Bass and Kydd bass.

Thank you all to be part of our supporters!
Gib a click in their site - here

Return to YidishMusic's site